Monday, May 24, 2010

What happened to my last name?

I had citizenship intervew, my petition was denied. (I made a mistake and applied 2 months earlier). Officer said I can reapply at any time and I'll do so. ...But... In my application I stated that I want to change last name. During the interview the INS officer said b/c I got married before becoming a permanent resident no need to go thru legal name change procedures and ... change my last name to my husband's in the application. (Note, that I didn't change my last time at the time we got married.) Then he gave me a "denial" letter w/ the new last name on it. I was silly enough not to clarify the name situation on a spot, I was too upset and the name situation didn't click right away. What happened? Does that mean I have a new last name? In my "out of immigration issues" life I have no proof of last name change. Should I change green card, SSN..? I'm afraid I got myself into some clerical mess!

What happened to my last name?
If your application was denied no name change occurred. The denial was just address to you how you wanted to change your name.





Make sure to fill out the application again with the name you want to use from now on.


No comments:

Post a Comment